FAYETTEVILLE, CUMBERLAND COUNTY - Fayetteville police have charged a 19-year-old man in the death of his 2-year-old daughter who accidentally shot herself.
Police said in a release Sunday that Melvin Clark Jr. is charged with involuntary manslaughter and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. He's accused of leaving a loaded .22 semi-automatic pistol under the living room couch.
Officers say Samarri Beauford found the gun while she was playing Saturday. The child was taken to Cape Fear Valley Medical Center, where she died. No one else in the home was injured.
Clark was in jail on a $50,000 secured bond.
- Updated Suicide attacks kill dozens in Syrian city of Homs
- Updated Pence pledges to 'keep our end of the bargain' with top Jewish supporters
- Witness recalls moments before, after Olathe shooting
- Teen wants to be guardian of sister after both parents die
- Prosecutors question NYC mayor in federal probe