ASHEBORO, RANDOLPH COUNTY - North Carolina Zoo officials say one of the zoo's seven elephants has died.
The 36-year-old African Elephant died Tuesday night at the zoo in Randolph County after being sick for several days.
Little Diamond has been at the North Carolina Zoo since 1995.
A necropsy was performed, and it was determined that Little Diamond died from an intestinal blockage caused by ingesting sand.
Zoo Director David Jones says it is a sad day at the zoo because Little Diamond had been part of the zoo family for so long.
Six elephants remain at the zoo, ranging in age from 12 years to 40 years.
Those elephants are said to be in good health.
- LIVE FBI reviewing new emails in Clinton classified information probe
- Updated Duplin County man arrested for drugs, guns and explosives
- Updated Viewer captures photos, video of manatees in Pine Knoll Shores
- Updated Bill Cosby is legally blind, according to defense attorneys
- Updated Stocks sink on Clinton email bombshell