ASHEBORO, RANDOLPH COUNTY - North Carolina Zoo officials say one of the zoo's seven elephants has died.
The 36-year-old African Elephant died Tuesday night at the zoo in Randolph County after being sick for several days.
Little Diamond has been at the North Carolina Zoo since 1995.
A necropsy was performed, and it was determined that Little Diamond died from an intestinal blockage caused by ingesting sand.
Zoo Director David Jones says it is a sad day at the zoo because Little Diamond had been part of the zoo family for so long.
Six elephants remain at the zoo, ranging in age from 12 years to 40 years.
Those elephants are said to be in good health.
- Updated Whopper of a deal: Burger King owner buys Popeyes
- Updated Survey: Business executives' optimism surges under Trump
- Updated Michelin Guide mix-up gives diner coveted star
- Updated Denver man practicing parkour ends up in chimney
- Updated Marine Le Pen in Lebanon row after refusing to wear headscarf