RICHMOND, Va. - An 8-year-old Virginia boy died while trying to save his 12-year-old sister from being sexually assaulted, family members said.
The children's stepfather and aunt told ABC-affiliate WRIC the kids were in their backyard near some railroad tracks on Brandon Road in Richmond Thursday evening. That was when a man walking along the tracks sexually assaulted the 12-year-old girl and cut her face, said family.
The girl's 8-year-old brother tried to intervene, but the man threw a rock at his head, killing him instantly, according to the family.
Richmond Police told WRIC a teen male connected with Thursday night's homicide has been found and is being medically evaluated. Warrants have been obtained for his arrest.
WRIC reports that the 12-year-old girl is recovering at a hospital. Her 8-year-old brother who died was a student at Redd Elementary School.
For more information, visit WRIC.
- Updated Officer pleads not guilty in Philando Castile killing
- Updated Will Trump get his commerce secretary?
- New One arrested, two wanted in Onslow County break-in
- Lenor County business to add 25 jobs, $4.5 million in investments
- Nunes: 'We still have not seen any evidence' of Trump campaign, Russia contact