MOREHEAD CITY, CARTERET COUNTY - Several people gathered in Morehead City to honor of Peace Officers' Memorial Day. The ceremony was held Wednesday afternoon outside the Carteret Community College Basic Law Enforcement Office.
Six North Carolina law enforcement officers killed while doing their jobs last year were recognized. Their names read off one by one, each followed by a bell.
"For the last seven years, all the local law enforcement including some from Craven County, all of Carteret County, gather here and we honor our fallen brothers and sisters," said Joseph Rufra.
Deputy William Mast, Officer Jeremiah Goodson , Deputy Dwayne Hester, correctional officer William Wright, Detective Randall Thomas and Trooper Bobby Demuth. Demuth was killed while trying to lay down spikes during a high speed chase on U-S 64 in Nash County.
Since 1941, thirteen men and women in Carteret County have died while in the line of duty.
- Updated Grandson charged with beating grandfather to death
- Updated Have you heard of an outdoor preschool? There's now one in ENC.
- Updated OPEC agrees to cut production; oil prices surge
- Updated Eric Trump praises dad's 'courage' in not bringing up Bill Clinton's infidelities
- Updated Michelle Obama goes off on Donald Trump