GASTONIA - A former youth pastor and teacher has accepted a plea deal on a sex charge in Gaston County.
The Gaston Gazette reported that 34-year-old Brandon James Carter pleaded guilty to taking indecent liberties with a child and kidnapping Wednesday. He was sentenced to less than two years in prison. He will be on probation for three years and must register as a sex offender.
Carter was arrested last March. He was youth and music minister at Mount Zion Baptist Church in Cherryville at the time.
Prosecutors say the crime involving a 13-year-old girl occurred at a home in Lincoln County in 2004.
The now 21-year-old woman said she had to come forward to protect other teens.
Carter previously taught at East Lincoln Middle and East Lincoln High schools.
- Updated 4 reasons why Venezuela became the world's worst economy
- Updated Mercedes-Benz unveils first pickup truck
- Updated Women now drink nearly as much alcohol as men, study finds
- Updated Eight more local counties among 13 additional to receive Disaster Food Assistance
- One of two workers to die in Boston trench collapse from New Bern