EASTERN CAROLINA - On Veterans Day, several events will be taking place across Eastern Carolina to honor vets and active service members. The list will be updated as new details become available.
NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY:
All veterans and active members of the military can use their military I.D. to gain free admission to Tryon Palace and receive discounts for their families.
GREENVILLE, PITT COUNTY:
ECU will hold its annual Veterans Day paver dedication at 2 p.m. near Christenbury Gymnasium. According to the school, 37 pavers will be dedicated. Tim Wiseman, ECU assistant vice chancellor for enterprise risk management and a retired Army colonel, will host the event. Dr. Jim Bearden, director of the BB&T Center for Leadership Development at ECU and an Army veteran, is scheduled to speak.
Pictured above: A Veterans day ceremony was held at the Town commons in Greenville at 11 a.m. The Pitt County Veterans Council and the City of Greenville hosted the event.
PINE KNOLL SHORES, CARTERET COUNTY:
All visitors are admitted to the N.C.Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores free of charge on Veterans Day. No past or present military affiliation is required.
In conjunction with the holiday and free admission, the Aquarium is offering two opportunities to return the favor:
• Contribute to the food drive for Martha's Mission Cupboard. The local food pantry helps many families through hard times all year long, and is especially busy during the holiday season. Cereal, peanut butter, powdered milk, canned fruits and vegetables, dried beans, rice, saltines and other staples are particularly in demand. Please check the expiration dates to assure food items can be used. Aquarium staff will collect the donations and deliver them to the food pantry. Food donations are accepted during operating hours, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
• Donate to the American Red Cross blood drive. The Aquarium makes it easy for you to help meet the ever-present demand for this life-saving commodity. American Red Cross staff will be on hand 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. Just report to Soundside Hall, near the otter exhibit.
Donations to either drive are not required for admission on Veterans Day. The Aquarium is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. as usual, and dive presentations, live animal programs and feeding demonstrations are scheduled as usual throughout the day.
MILITARY APPRECIATION MONDAY:
Golden Corral restaurants across Eastern Carolina will be offering free "Thank You" dinners to those who have served in the military. The event, sponsored by NewsChannel 12 and FOX Eastern Carolina, will be from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Updated Failing storm pipe caused hole in road
- Updated British Muslim schoolteacher denied entry to US
- Updated Missouri man accused of trying to aid ISIS-inspired attack
- Melbourne plane crash: CEO, lawyer, ex-FBI agent among Americans killed
- Updated Pitt County school bus hit by car, no students injured