DURHAM, DURHAM COUNTY - A jury has found Laurence Lovette not guilty in the murder of Duke University graduate student Abhijit Mahato.
The verdict was passed down Tuesday morning in a Durham County courtroom. The jury of 10 women and two men said there was not enough evidence presented by prosecutors to find Lovette guilty of robbery and first-degree murder.
Lovette is already serving a life sentence for the murder of UNC-Chapel Hill Student Body President Eve Carson. Mahato was killed in January of 2008; Carson was murdered the following March.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend