DURHAM, DURHAM COUNTY - A jury has found Laurence Lovette not guilty in the murder of Duke University graduate student Abhijit Mahato.
The verdict was passed down Tuesday morning in a Durham County courtroom. The jury of 10 women and two men said there was not enough evidence presented by prosecutors to find Lovette guilty of robbery and first-degree murder.
Lovette is already serving a life sentence for the murder of UNC-Chapel Hill Student Body President Eve Carson. Mahato was killed in January of 2008; Carson was murdered the following March.
- 'Unprecedented' divide: Democrats fear recession, Republicans see boom
- Volunteers come out to help for Reef Habitat Project event
- Updated White House blocks news organizations from press briefing
- Rusted Root to headline stage at 11th annual PirateFest
- Small Ohio town counts on Trump to stave off plant closures