EASTERN CAROLINA - Energy Star-labeled appliances will be exempt from sales tax this weekend, beginning Friday.
According to the N.C. Department of Revenue, the following Energy Star items will be exempt from sales or use tax (unless the items are rented or sold for use in a trade or business):
- Clothes washers
- Freezers and refrigerators
- Central air conditioners and room air conditioners
- Air-source heat pumps and geothermal heat pumps
- Ceiling fans
- Programmable thermostats
An Energy Star-qualified item is "a product that meets the energy efficient guidelines set by the United States Environmental Protection Agency and the United States Department of Energy and is authorized to carry the Energy Star label," according to the N.C. Department of Revenue.
- NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Updated Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Updated Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew