HAMPSTEAD, PENDER COUNTY - Investigators say the president of a youth baseball club in Pender County stole more than $30,000 from the organization.
Pender County deputies said in a news release that 46-year-old Thomas Dematteo has been charged with embezzlement.
Authorities say Dematteo took the money from the Topsail Baseball Club in Hampstead for 15 months starting in April 2013. Dematteo was both president and treasurer of the club.
Deputies say the case remains under investigation. It was not known if Dematteo has a lawyer.
- New Havelock PD seeks person of interest in club stabbing
- New Seven Springs man ends up in ICU after fight with detention officers
- Updated Suspects in animal cruelty case to appear in court Monday
- National Boat Safety Week encourages safety in the water
- Pitt County NAACP to hold meeting to discuss families, mental health