ONSLOW COUNTY - An elderly woman critically injured in an Onslow County wreck is improving, a hospital official said.
According to Vidant Medical Center, 80-year-old Ellen Kruger has been upgraded from critical to fair condition as of noon Monday.
Kruger was severely injured in a wreck on Gun Branch Road, near Cowhorn Road north of Jacksonville, at about 11:30 a.m. Sunday, said the Highway Patrol.
Troopers said Kruger's son, 49-year-old Laurence Lee Kruger, of Jacksonville, was driving South on Gum Branch Road when he ran off the road to the right, over-corrected, crossed the center line, and hit a tree.
Ellen Kruger and another passenger, 53-year-old Deborah Kruger, both had to be extracted from the car, said troopers.
Ellen was critically injured and was airlifted to the hospital, investigators said.
Deborah Kruger was also hurt and was the only person not wearing a seat belt, according to troopers. NewsChannel 12 called hospital officials to get Deborah's condition Monday, but she was not listed.
Speed was not a factor in the crash, said troopers. At last check, no charges had been filed against the driver.
- New Havelock PD seeks person of interest in club stabbing
- New Seven Springs man ends up in ICU after fight with detention officers
- Suspects in animal cruelty case to appear in court Monday
- National Boat Safety Week encourages safety in the water
- Pitt County NAACP to hold meeting to discuss families, mental health