ONSLOW COUNTY - An elderly woman critically injured in an Onslow County wreck is improving, a hospital official said.
According to Vidant Medical Center, 80-year-old Ellen Kruger has been upgraded from critical to fair condition as of noon Monday.
Kruger was severely injured in a wreck on Gun Branch Road, near Cowhorn Road north of Jacksonville, at about 11:30 a.m. Sunday, said the Highway Patrol.
Troopers said Kruger's son, 49-year-old Laurence Lee Kruger, of Jacksonville, was driving South on Gum Branch Road when he ran off the road to the right, over-corrected, crossed the center line, and hit a tree.
Ellen Kruger and another passenger, 53-year-old Deborah Kruger, both had to be extracted from the car, said troopers.
Ellen was critically injured and was airlifted to the hospital, investigators said.
Deborah Kruger was also hurt and was the only person not wearing a seat belt, according to troopers. NewsChannel 12 called hospital officials to get Deborah's condition Monday, but she was not listed.
Speed was not a factor in the crash, said troopers. At last check, no charges had been filed against the driver.
- Updated Gold Star mom on Kaepernick: I see a flag that draped my son's casket
- Sudan Shriners to hold fundraiser to assist Louisiana flood victims
- Clinton at fundraiser: 'I do not know which Donald Trump will show up' at debates
- Updated Trump disavows robo-call from David Duke
- Chocowinity commissioner speaks out after assault charges