PITT COUNTY - Officials initially thought 83-year-old William Person was inside the burning home. However, it turns out he was at a doctor's appointment and not missing.
The fire happened on Pug Moore Drive near Bethel about 8:45 a.m. Tuesday morning.
Relatives of Person were unable to locate him at first so family and authorities were looking for him for about two hours.
Person arrived at his home later in the morning.
His daughter, Linda said she didn't know what to think when she got the call about her Dad's home.
"I got here and I was so scared. I thought my father was in the house but thank god he wasn't. So, I had a release from that but we couldn't find him," she said.
Person plans to stay in his home, despite the damage. He said he has lived there for more than sixty-years.
"I hate it because that's my heart broken there," Person said.
Officials said the fire started in a wall socket near the microwave in the kitchen. The fire is not considered suspicious.
- New Second 15th Street widening project meeting slated for Monday
- New ECU to host four-day symposium focusing on migration issues
- Updated Crowds flock to Saudi Arabia's first Comic Con
- Updated Davis scores big in NBA All-Star Game
- Uber CEO orders 'urgent' investigation after sex harassment allegations