East Carolina University filed a lawsuit in federal court against Cisco Systems, Inc., over ECU's federally registered trademark, school leaders said.
Cisco, a technology advancement corporation, launched an advertising campaign in December, using the slogan "Tomorrow Starts Here" as its centerpiece. But ECU had been using the slogan for more than a decade.
ECU's federal lawsuit sought injunctive relief and damages for the unauthorized use of the trademark, according to a school release.
ECU Chancellor Steve Ballard issued a statement, saying, "we feel it is essential to take action to protect that defining trademark of out identity and vision."
In a statement, a Cisco representative wrote, "we were surprised to learn that East Carolina University filed a complaint... Cisco takes intellectual property rights very seriously, and we are confident that our new campaign does not create any confusion in the marketplace."
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- Greenville Hilton earns accolades thanks to guest satisfaction
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Lenoir County Sheriff's Office loses K-9 to medical issue
- Documents: Man tried to bite flight attendant before jumping out of plane in Charlotte