GREENVILLE - ECU Police Chief Scott Shelton said an attack reported by a female student was a false report.
The false attack was reported 2:11 a.m. Monday near the Speight Building and Christenbury Gym.
ECU investigators were unable to corroborate the young woman's account of the assault. During an interview with the student, it was determined that the crime had been falsely reported.
"We take every reported crime seriously," said Shelton. "Our primary concern is the safety of the ECU community. We investigate each report that comes into our department. At the same time, we must be vigilant for false reports that cause unnecessary concern and worry on campus."
The identity of the woman who filed the report has not been released. There will be no criminal charges filed against her.
- Supreme Court refuses to restore voter ID, reduce early voting days
- New labels warn against mixing opioids, benzodiazepines
- Mark Zuckerberg's visit gives Nigerian startups much-needed boost
- Infantry training building aboard Camp Geiger named for fallen Marine
- Lara Trump visits Eastern North Carolina to support father-in-law