GREENVILLE, PITT COUNTY - East Carolina University has received a $2.2 million foundation grant for its rural teacher education program.
ECU announced Monday that the money is coming from the State Employees' Credit Union Foundation.
Under the university's Partnership East program, students can complete their first two years of a teaching degree at one of 20 participating community colleges in eastern and central North Carolina. They can then transfer to ECU where education classes can be taken online and part-time.
The program is designed to educate new teachers at home so they remain to teach in their communities after graduation.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County