FLETCHER, HENDERSON COUNTY - Organic grocer Earth Fare is closing its warehouse in western North Carolina, laying off 25 workers.
Earth Fare said it will close its warehouse in Fletcher on Oct. 12 and use third-party distribution providers.
Kristi Kanzig with Earth Fare says the company has outgrown its warehouse space. She says mountain winters and hills created problems with delivery schedules.
Kanzig said the employees affected have been given severance packages, extended benefits and job placement help.
The Asheville supermarket chain has 31 stores in the Southeast and Midwest. Stores are located in the Carolinas, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio.
Earth Fare has about 125 people at its Asheville office.
- Tornado watch issued for most of North Carolina
- Updated Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Updated Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn
- New Bus driver charged in Greenville Boulevard crash that killed man