FLETCHER, HENDERSON COUNTY - Organic grocer Earth Fare is closing its warehouse in western North Carolina, laying off 25 workers.
Earth Fare said it will close its warehouse in Fletcher on Oct. 12 and use third-party distribution providers.
Kristi Kanzig with Earth Fare says the company has outgrown its warehouse space. She says mountain winters and hills created problems with delivery schedules.
Kanzig said the employees affected have been given severance packages, extended benefits and job placement help.
The Asheville supermarket chain has 31 stores in the Southeast and Midwest. Stores are located in the Carolinas, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio.
Earth Fare has about 125 people at its Asheville office.
- Updated Predicted rainy forecast forces high schools to move more games
- Updated Poll: Clinton favorability slides to equal Trump
- Updated Inequality is widening, even in real estate
- Updated Landmark US commercial flight lands in Cuba
- Updated Donald Trump to deliver highly anticipated immigration speech following Mexico visit