NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - Students at H. J. MacDonald Middle School spent the day helping mother nature by learning a little about human nature. This Earth Day, the sixth grade class helped to plant one of three new trees.
"They are going to inherit all the problems that we created in my generation and we need to start giving them the skills to come up the solutions and solve those issues." says Mike Haynes, HJ MacDonald Middle School STEM Lab Coordinator.
Haynes says, Earth Day presents a great opportunity to teach kids about conservation and the science behind tree benefits.
Three Dogwood trees were planted on the school grounds. The staff say they picked Dogwood trees since they are the state tree.
- Fidel Castro laid to rest in private funeral
- Oakland fire: 30 bodies found; 80% of building still to be searched
- Updated Sec. Kerry says Trump did not contact State Dept. prior to calls
- Updated Euro falls as Italian leader quits after losing reform vote
- Updated New Zealand Prime Minister John Key resigns