GREENVILLE, PITT COUNTY -

Investigators said unattended cooking led to a fire in Greenville Wednesday morning, displacing two people.

The blaze broke out at a duplex on Shiloh Drive. Fire officials said the call came in at about 4 a.m. Wednesday, and the flames were put out roughly half an hour later.

The blaze was contained to the kitchen, which suffered extensive fire and smoke damage, said officials.

A smoke alarm woke up the two adults inside the home and they escaped safely, according to Greenville Fire/Rescue. The Red Cross helped the displaced victims find another place to stay.