JONES COUNTY - A dump truck driver will be facing charges for allegedly crashing his vehicle into a tractor near the Jones-Craven County, causing the truck to burst into flames.
According to the Highway Patrol, Albert Whitfield Jr., of New Bern, was traveling at about 50 mph north on Highway 17, when his dump truck collided with a trailer that was being towed by the tractor. The impact caused the trailer to run off the road and the tractor to flip to its side. The dump truck then caught fire.
The scene was about a foot past the Jones County line, near the new Highway 17 bypass.
Whitfield was not injured in the crash, troopers said. Meanwhile, the driver of the tractor, John Andrews, of Trenton, was treated from a hospital and released.
Troopers said Whitfield will be facing charges, although they did not specify what kind.
All lanes of Highway 17 in that area were closed Thursday afternoon, but have since reopened.
- Updated Kraft Heinz pulls plug on massive Unilever bid
- Updated Vice President Pence visits former Nazi concentration camp
- Priebus denies collusion between Trump campaign, Russian officials
- Bernstein: Trump's attacks on the press 'more treacherous' than Nixon's
- Syria ceasefire opens door for political solution, UN says