GREENVILLE - A couple could not return home Sunday morning following a dryer fire.
Lieutenant Delvin Jackson with Greenville Fire said crews received a call of an apartment on fire around 9:45 a.m. in the 2000 block of Quail Ridge Road. When they arrived, they discovered a dryer on the second floor was on fire. Jackson said crews were able to put out the blaze quickly with fire extinguishers.
Jackson said the occupants told him that they were drying clothes and had moved them from the appliance when the fire started.
Jackson said residents next door were evacuated as a precaution.
Jackson said due to extensive smoke damage, the couple was not able to return home and are staying with friends.
The exact cause of the fire is under investigation. Jackson said they do not consider it suspicious.
- Updated One person injured in Greenville shooting
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating