GREENVILLE - A couple could not return home Sunday morning following a dryer fire.
Lieutenant Delvin Jackson with Greenville Fire said crews received a call of an apartment on fire around 9:45 a.m. in the 2000 block of Quail Ridge Road. When they arrived, they discovered a dryer on the second floor was on fire. Jackson said crews were able to put out the blaze quickly with fire extinguishers.
Jackson said the occupants told him that they were drying clothes and had moved them from the appliance when the fire started.
Jackson said residents next door were evacuated as a precaution.
Jackson said due to extensive smoke damage, the couple was not able to return home and are staying with friends.
The exact cause of the fire is under investigation. Jackson said they do not consider it suspicious.
- Michelle Obama fires up North Carolina crowd for Hillary Clinton
- Updated Wildlife sanctuary searches for owl lost duirng Hurricane Matthew
- Updated Dems can't get enough of FLOTUS -- and Clinton knows it
- Updated Haley 'not a fan' but will vote for Trump
- Updated Trump in 2011: Hillary Clinton 'did probably as much as anybody' for the black community