PORTLAND, Maine - Drivers may have gotten a chuckle out of an electronic message board in Maine warning of zombies, but city officials were not amused.
The sign at a Portland road construction site was changed by a hacker to read "Warning Zombies Ahead!" on Wednesday morning. It originally read "Night work 8 pm-6 am. Expect delays."
City spokeswoman Nicole Clegg says the signs are a safety precaution and changing it could have led to driver distraction.
She tells The Portland Press Herald tampering with a safety device is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine.
She says it's not clear who changed the sign, but it's not the first time it has happened.
- Updated Spurned again in DNC vote, progressives threaten revolt
- Updated Truck rams New Orleans crowd during Mardi Gras parade; 28 injured
- Updated Trump declines to attend White House correspondents' dinner
- Judge rules against dismissing charges against Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl
- Fire reported in old Calypso Fire Station