NEW BERN, CRAVEN COUNTY - Police in New Bern are conducting more traffic checkpoints.
Officers in the last month have set up checkpoints several times a day, at different locations throughout the city.
The current focus is checking for seat belts, in the well-known "Click It or Ticket" campaign.
Most people are understanding of the checkpoints, which are meant to increase safety, according to MPO III William Zerby of the New Bern Police Department.
The enforcement campaign runs through June 2, and is part of the Governor's Highway Safety Program.
A ticket for not wearing a seat belt costs $161, including court costs.
Passengers can be ticketed for not wearing a seat belt, and that person gets the ticket, not the driver.
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- Greenville Hilton earns accolades thanks to guest satisfaction
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Lenoir County Sheriff's Office loses K-9 to medical issue
- Documents: Man tried to bite flight attendant before jumping out of plane in Charlotte