GREENVILLE - The Greenville Police says a driver is dead after a rear-end collision.
The incident happened on Memorial Drive near the entrance ramp for Highway 264 Tuesday afternoon.
Police believe a vehicle, a Honda, was sitting at a stoplight when a Jeep Wrangler rear-ended it, sending it into the intersection. Both drivers were transported to Vidant Medical Center in Greenville. The driver who was rear-ended died Tuesday night from injuries sustained in the crash. That driver has been identified as Ashley Smith, 32, of Ayden.
Police are also working to determine how fast the jeep was going; there was no indication of an attempt to stop, according to police.
The intersection will be closed until approximately 5 to 5:30 p.m.
- Updated Doctor: I wrote Trump's bill of health in 5 minutes
- Updated Trent Woods road closing for repairs starting Sept. 6
- Updated Man arrested in Greenville on drug possession charges
- Updated Badges save officers struck by bullets
- New Bern Shrine Club holding donation drive for Louisiana flood victims