ONSLOW COUNTY - A man has been charged for an Onslow County wreck that killed a woman on a motorcycle and injured her husband.
According to the Highway Patrol, 74-year-old Robert Wooten is charged with misdemeanor death by motor vehicle and failure to yield in the wreck that killed 49-year-old Sally Brumfield, of Maple Hill (pictured above).
The wreck happened early Sunday afternoon on Gurganus Road just off Highway 53, northeast of Maple Hill near the Onslow-Pender County line.
Wooten told NewsChannel 12 he was coming home from church and was turning left toward his driveway when a motorcycle came from around a corner.
Edward Brumfield (pictured above), 47, was driving that motorcycle with his wife, Sally, riding as a passenger, said troopers.
Wooten said he tried to back his truck to give room for the motorcycle. But in an attempt to avoid hitting Wooten's truck, Edward laid his motorcycle down on the pavement and slid underneath Wooten's vehicle, investigators said.
Sally died from her injuries, said troopers.
Edward was taken to New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington, where he was listed in fair condition as of Monday afternoon.
- Updated Brooklyn's coolest hotels and hottest hangouts
- Updated Trump has 3,643 websites that range from TrumpEmpire.com to TrumpFraud.org
- Updated Snapchat Spectacles now for sale online
- Updated Angelina Jolie opens up about family after split with Brad Pitt
- Trump's promises hit Washington reality in first month