NEWPORT, CARTERET COUNTY - A pickup truck driver, involved in a wreck that killed a Cherry Point Marine, has been charged, according to the Highway Patrol.
Lou Cacal, 72, is charged with misdemeanor death by vehicle and failure to yield inflicting serious injuries, troopers said.
Cacal was exiting the Pender Park Fuel Market in Newport at about 1:45 p.m. Saturday, when he pulled out into the path of 21-year-old David Sandmeyer's motorcycle, according to investigators.
Sandmeyer was thrown onto Highway 24 and died at the scene, troopers said. Cacal was not injured
Cacal told investigators he was waiting for a funeral procession to pass on Highway 24 and didn't see Sandmeyer coming.
Sandmeyer was a Cherry Point Marine originally from Minnesota.
- Updated NOAA predicts above-average hurricane season for 2017
- Updated Couple watches in horror as kittens tossed from moving car, run over
- Updated Havelock Police, high school students explore the horrors of drunk driving
- Facility for developmentally disabled gets overhauled kitchen
- Coast Guard to use air units in search for local fishing crew