PITT COUNTY - More than 40,000 people were evacuated from Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium during the Pirates match-up with the UTEP Miners today due to severe weather.
It was evacuated around 8 p.m. due to lightning strikes within eight miles from the stadium. It happened around the second quarter, when UTEP was up 10-7 against the Pirates. Fans were let back inside around 9:15 p.m., with the game resuming around 9:20 p.m. About 25.000 fans returned for the completion of the game.
ECU rallied to beat UTEP 28-18.
- Updated Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- New Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend