GREENVILLE - In a nail-biter of a game, ECU beats Marshall Friday in double overtime, 65-59.
ECU had to win Friday's game to keep their Conference USA Championship hopes alive.
The Pirates honored their 18 seniors before the game, then ECU came out hot.
Quarterback Shane Carden threw deep to the true freshman, outside receiver Jabril Soloman, to tie the game at seven.
Former West Craven star, inside receiver Justin Hardy, had a school record of 16 catches in the game.
RB Vintavious Cooper helped ECU to a 14-point lead with a 15-yard touchdown run. Then QB Shane Carden calls his own number and went in for the touchdown, putting ECU up 35-14 in the second quarter.
But Marshall came back. Rakeem Cato threw with the touchdown pass to Antanvios Wilson once, and then Cato to Wilson again - the Thundering Herd stormed back to tie the game up.
Then the Pirates were down seven with less than 20 seconds to go. QB Shane Carden finds former Havelock star and insider receiver Danny Webster in the back of the end zone to force overtime.
In the second overtime, the Pirate defense forces a fumble and outside linebacker Derrell Johnson recovers for the Pirates. Then QB Shane Carden scores the game-winning touchdown. ECU wins a wild one, 65-59.
- One person injured in Greenville shooting
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating