NEW BERN - The medical examiner in Onslow County has determined that a double-fatal shooting in New Bern over the weekend was a murder-suicide.
Autopsies on Brittany Nicole Jones and Johnnie Exum Neely were conducted on Tuesday. The initial report shows both victims died of gunshot wounds. Mr. Neely?s were self-inflicted. Ms. Jones? death is being investigated as a homicide.
Neely, 25, and Jones, 20, were found inside the house at 611 Julia Clay Street. Police got to the scene at about 2:30 p.m. Friday.
The home was Jones' residence, police said.
"It's a tragedy," Kimberly Vaughan, a Neely family friend, said.
"[Johnnie's] mother is in shock, as any mother would be," Vaughan said.
Police towed a small red car from the scene Friday night; people on the scene identified the car as Neely's. Jones' cousin Tammy said the pair's 3-year-old daughter was in the home at the time of the shooting and saw everything.
The cousin said when the daughter woke up Saturday morning, the 3-year-old said "my daddy shot my mom and then shot himself."
- Updated Manchester Arena attack: ISIS claims blast that killed 22 at Ariana Grande concert
- Updated Craven County teenager facing rape and kidnapping charges
- Pamlico County man bitten by Lone Star Tick talks about struggles
- Jacksonville couple facing felony animal cruelty charges
- Residents call foul on geese carnage