EASTERN NC - The North Carolina Department of Transportation is staging ferries near Hatteras Island in case an emergency ferry route is needed after Hurricane Sandy passes the coast, according to a media release.
The DOT is also staging heavy road equipment along Highway 12 on the Outer Banks, in anticipation of any maintenance required on the road after the storm.
Eastern North Carolina will be under a state of emergency as of 7 a.m. Saturday.
Much of the coast is under a Tropical Storm Warning as of 7 p.m. Friday.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County