EASTERN NC - The North Carolina Department of Transportation is staging ferries near Hatteras Island in case an emergency ferry route is needed after Hurricane Sandy passes the coast, according to a media release.
The DOT is also staging heavy road equipment along Highway 12 on the Outer Banks, in anticipation of any maintenance required on the road after the storm.
Eastern North Carolina will be under a state of emergency as of 7 a.m. Saturday.
Much of the coast is under a Tropical Storm Warning as of 7 p.m. Friday.
- Updated 2 powerful earthquakes rattle Italy
- Updated Governor tours storm damage, celebrates opening of Neuse Sports Shop in Kinston
- SkyWest Airlines pilot accused of operating aircraft while intoxicated
- City of New Bern to celebrate Third Avenue extension
- Ex-congressman: 'If Trump loses, I'm grabbing my musket'