EASTERN NC - The North Carolina Department of Transportation is staging ferries near Hatteras Island in case an emergency ferry route is needed after Hurricane Sandy passes the coast, according to a media release.
The DOT is also staging heavy road equipment along Highway 12 on the Outer Banks, in anticipation of any maintenance required on the road after the storm.
Eastern North Carolina will be under a state of emergency as of 7 a.m. Saturday.
Much of the coast is under a Tropical Storm Warning as of 7 p.m. Friday.
- Updated WCTI's Anna Bulszewicz announces she's leaving the anchor desk
- Updated Pence tries for damage control abroad but allies still wary
- Updated Investigation underway after teen shot in New Bern
- Updated Border Patrol shooting of Mexican goes to Supreme Court
- Updated Israeli soldier sentenced in Palestinian killing