FORT BRAGG - The Department of Defense announced Wednesday that a Fort Bragg soldier died during a firefight.
Sgt. 1st Class Samuel C. Hairston, 35, of Houston, Texas, died Aug. 12, in Ghazni, Afghanistan, of injuries sustained when his unit was engaged by enemy small-arms fire.
Hairston was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, N.C.
According to the Army Times, Hairston joined the Army in 2003 and completed the basic airborne course at Fort Benning, Georgia. He was assigned to 1st BCT in August 2013. He is survived by his wife, Staff Sgt. Tawana Hairston, and his son, Hayden.
- Updated Volkswagen agrees to compensate US dealers over emissions scandal
- Updated Lochte's presence is desired by Brazilian authorities
- Updated Heroin seizure a 'substantial' dent in opioid epidemic
- Updated Jimmy Carter, rebuilding after cancer
- New Binghamton University: 'Stop White People' event was 'ironic'