AFGHANISTAN - A Camp Lejeune Marine was killed in combat in Afghanistan, the Department of Defense announced Thursday.
Sgt. Jacob M. Hess, 22, of Spokane, Wash., died on Wednesday while supporting combat operations in Helmand Province, defense officials said. There is no word on how he was killed. The incident is under investigation, according to the DoD.
Hess was assigned to Marine Aviation Logistics Squadron 26, part of the II Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Lejeune.
- New Eyewitness claims woman threw kittens from moving car
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal
- Demolition date set for old New Bern Days Inn