CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. - A Camp Lejeune Marine was killed while supporting Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan, the Defense Department announced.
LCpl. Jared W. Brown, 20, of Youngstown, Fla., died on June 16 in the Helmand province, military officials said. No details have been released on how he was killed. According to the DoD, the death is under investigation.
Brown was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, based at Camp Lejeune.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend