CAMP LEJEUNE - Records show a Navy medical examiner took a Marine's brain out of a specimen jar and let his children handle the organ.
Dr. Mark E. Shelly has been fined $2,500 by the Virginia Board of Medicine and fired from his part-time job with the state medical examiner's office. A spokeswoman says the Navy is also taking disciplinary action but has not yet decided what to do.
Shelly is on active duty in an administrative role.
Shelley was taking the brain from a naval hospital in Camp Lejeune, N.C., to Portsmouth Naval Medical Center in Virginia when he stopped at his home in Virginia Beach.
The Virginian-Pilot reported Friday that Shelley said in a letter to the medical board that he used extremely poor judgment.
- Updated Death of senior leader al-Adnani caps bad month for ISIS
- Ryan Lochte's new endorsement deal is for crime prevention device
- Beaufort County deputies arrest registered sex offender living in Chocowinity
- Fire chief killed in workers' bus crash remembered as 'amazing'
- ECU professor predicts presidential election results