Few people can understand the pain a family feels when a police officer is killed.
But Tracy Miller knows the pain all too well.
Her late husband, Detective Donald Miller, worked for the New Bern Police Department.
Miller was shot and killed while off duty in 2001.
He confronted a reckless driver at a Wilmington hospital; the driver had a gun and shot Miller.
But Miller was able to stop the man from carrying out his alleged plan: a shooting spree at the hospital.
NewsChannel 12's Jon Erickson asked Tracy to help the community understand what the family of Officer Alexander Thalmann family is now feeling.
Thalmann died Monday after he was shot Friday night in New Bern.
Click the video to watch the story.
- One person injured in Greenville shooting
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating