DEEP GAP - A Watauga County sheriff's deputy and another person have been killed in a shooting in Deep Gap.
Sheriff Len Hagaman said Deputy William Mast Jr. and another officer responded to a call around 1 a.m. Thursday.
Hagaman said the suspect opened fire, hitting Mast. The other deputy fired, killing the suspect.
The suspect's name has not been released.
Hagaman did not provide other details. The State Bureau of Investigation is investigating.
- New Havelock PD seeks person of interest in club stabbing
- New Seven Springs man ends up in ICU after fight with detention officers
- Updated Suspects in animal cruelty case to appear in court Monday
- National Boat Safety Week encourages safety in the water
- Pitt County NAACP to hold meeting to discuss families, mental health