SHELBY, N.C. - A Cleveland County sheriff's lieutenant is out of a job after allegedly pulling a knife on a man who questioned why he parked in a handicapped space while buying beer.
Reports say Lt. Steve Smith resigned the job he's held for 18 years on Friday after Shelby police began investigating an argument that apparently went too far.
Investigative reports say the incident started early Friday when Smith parked outside a gas station and walked inside to buy beer. When he came out, one of the men in the car commented that Smith parked in a handicapped parking spot.
The report states Smith then pulled a knife and held it to the man's throat. A fight followed, with Smith getting knocked to the ground and cutting the other man's hand.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Updated Uber CEO orders 'urgent' investigation after sex harassment allegations
- Updated Sheriff's Office searching for missing Greenville teen
- New Yorkers rally to say, 'Today I am a Muslim, too'
- Local businesses teaming up to feed hungry at Empty Bowls event
- Global arms trade hits highest level since end of Cold War