GASTONIA, N.C. - A North Carolina sheriff's deputy is recovering from a gunshot wound in the hip after an accident during a training exercise.
Gaston County Sheriff Alan Cloninger said the deputy underwent surgery Friday and was in stable condition. Cloninger says the bullet didn't strike any vital organs. The deputy has not been named.
The shooting happened at a Gastonia firearms training center.
Investigators say the wounded deputy was cleaning his own weapon when another student's gun accidentally went off. That student was having some kind of a problem with his gun and was getting help from an instructor when it went off and hit the bystanding deputy.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday