GASTONIA, N.C. - A North Carolina sheriff's deputy is recovering from a gunshot wound in the hip after an accident during a training exercise.
Gaston County Sheriff Alan Cloninger said the deputy underwent surgery Friday and was in stable condition. Cloninger says the bullet didn't strike any vital organs. The deputy has not been named.
The shooting happened at a Gastonia firearms training center.
Investigators say the wounded deputy was cleaning his own weapon when another student's gun accidentally went off. That student was having some kind of a problem with his gun and was getting help from an instructor when it went off and hit the bystanding deputy.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- New Was New Bern first in America to celebrate George Washington's birthday?
- Updated New Bern stab victim says he was accused of stealing drugs
- Updated Reports: Dolphins acquire TE Thomas from Jaguars
- Updated Trade of Cousins to Pelicans becomes official
- Updated Small plane crashes near Melbourne's Essendon airport