NEW BERN - Two women are charged with child abuse for allegedly bringing a baby to a drug buy.
Ashley Hargett, 26, and Alexandria Harrell, 24, brought a one-year-old boy with them while they tried to use a fake prescription to get oxycodone Wednesday night, according to Craven County deputies.
Hargett is dating the baby's father, authorities said.
The pair allegedly brought the boy to a Realo store in New Bern.
The plan didn't work; deputies arrested the pair and charged them with misdemeanor child abuse for having the child with them during the drug scheme, a sheriff's spokesperson said.
Each faces a count of felony conspiracy, in addition to the child abuse charge.
Harrell, of the Vanceboro area, was in custody and couldn't comment; Hargett declined comment at her home in Pamlico County.
The baby was with his father and Hargett in Pamlico County; there were no reports of the child having been hurt.
- Updated Alabama Mardi Gras parade canceled after car hits band members
- Updated Google officially reveals its latest robot
- Updated China considers baby bonus for couples to have second child
- Updated Grant Application Intake session slated in Snow Hill
- Updated Starbucks is coming to the home of the espresso