GOLDSBORO, WAYNE COUNTY - Deputies say a woman will not be charged after she shot a man who broke into a storage building behind her home in Wayne County.
The Wayne County Sheriff's Office said the break-in happened behind a home on Providence Church Road southwest of Goldsboro at 4:30 a.m. Thursday.
When deputies arrived at the scene, they found 28-year-old Christopher Todd Brogden, shot in the chest.
Investigators said it all started when the resident, a 28-year-old woman, heard a noise in the back of her home. She looked out of a window and saw that a lock was missing from her storage building.
The woman told her roommate to call 911, then went outside with a gun to see if anything was stolen, said deputies.
When the woman was approaching her storage building, Brogden ran out of the building toward her, investigators said. The woman then shot Brogden once in the upper chest, called 911, and waited for deputies to arrive.
Brogden was taken to Wayne Memorial Hospital before being transferred Vidant Medical Center in Greenville, where was was listed as stable, according to the Sheirff's Office.
Brogden will be charged for the break-in, said investigators. The woman who shot him will not be charged.
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County