PINETOWN, BEAUFORT COUNTY - Beaufort County deputies have charged a woman for allegedly shooting her boyfriend in the head, killing him.
According to the Sheriff's Office, they received a call Wednesday night of an unresponsive person at 2530 Long Ridge Road in Pinetown. When deputies arrived, they found 59-year-old Michael Wayne Moon dead with a gunshot wound to the head, investigators said.
Deputies said they believe the man's girlfriend, 54-year-old Dee Trent Reifinger, shot the victim with a handgun.
"There's a lot of shooting because of the hunting. But as far as shooting people, that's not Pinetown," said Ronnie Spruill, a neighbor of the couple. "[Moon] was just a quiet guy. He was real nice, I mean, polite. When you see him, he'd always wave and it's just sad."
"I can't believe it," said neighbor Jacob Swindell. "I didn't know them personally, but still, I can't believe it happened so close to home. [It's] pretty crazy."
Reifinger has been charged with an open count of murder. She was being held in the Women's Prison in Raleigh on a $500,000 secured bond.
Deputies have not released a motive in the shooting. The suspect and victim had been living together, investigators said.
- Updated Biden aims to reassure Turks of US support after failed coup
- Updated How should you talk to loved ones about their weight?
- Updated Oil billionaire: Trump didn't 'understand' simple fracking question
- Updated Thousands of fish die in Yellowstone River
- Inside the big banks' plan for new digital cash