WASHINGTON, BEAUFORT COUNTY - Deputies said a registered sex offender from Beaufort County is facing several felony charges because he escaped to New York to avoid arrest.
Clarence Kevin Thigpen, 46, formerly of Tranters Creek Drive in Washington, has been charged with failing to update his address and living in a home within 1,000 feet of a school. He also faces a felony probation violation charge.
Beaufort County deputies said they responded to South Harding Village Road in Washington on May 5, 2012 in reference to a domestic dispute. When deputies arrived, they learned the suspect was a registered sex offender, investigators said. The location of the disturbance did not match the suspect's registered address.
The Sheriff's Office began an investigation and obtained warrants. Thigpen left North Carolina to avoid arrest and was entered in the National Criminal Information Center's wanted file, deputies said.
On April 25, 2013, Thigpen was arrested in Columbia County, N.Y. But deputies said Thigpen fought the extradition process and a governor's warrant had to be issued to extradite Thigpen to North Carolina. On Aug. 9, 2013, Thigpen was transported back to Beaufort County, deputies said. He was held under a $165,000 secured bond.
- Updated Grandson charged with beating grandfather to death
- Updated Have you heard of an outdoor preschool? There's now one in ENC.
- Updated OPEC agrees to cut production; oil prices surge
- Updated Eric Trump praises dad's 'courage' in not bringing up Bill Clinton's infidelities
- Updated Michelle Obama goes off on Donald Trump