TRENTON, JONES COUNTY - A Jones County man, wanted for allegedly operating a meth lab, has been arrested, deputies told NewsChannel 12.
According to Capt. J.T. Eimer of the Jones County Sheriff's Office, 26-year-old Mark Justin Smith turned himself in Friday morning. He was being held under a $150,000 bond on felony drug charges.
Deputies said authorities from Jones, Lenoir and Carteret Counties searched a home at 275 Pine Street in Trenton Wednesday night. There, they found an active meth lab, marijuana, psychedelic mushrooms and drug paraphernalia, investigators said.
Fay Heath, a neighbor, said she heard rumors of a drug investigation in the community, but didn't think it was true.
"[Smith] had told my son that he didn't have anything, he wasn't into anything, and he couldn't imagine why the law would be looking for him," Heath said. "I don't know where he would go. I don't know much about the guy himself, but I do know he's a friendly little guy."
The SBI was called in to assist with the investigation. The case is ongoing, according to deputies.
- Updated 10,000 stinging wasps make colossal nest in English country house
- Updated Jury finds second suspect guilty of triple murder at Farmville store
- Updated 7 Memorable Presidential Debate Moments
- Updated Police: Man arrested and charged 29 years after alleged rape
- Clinton and Trump: Who's on the debate guest list