Wayne County deputies arrested three people for pretending to raise money for local charities on Thursday.
Deputies said Brittney Norvell, Phillip Brill and Billy Steen, all from Goldsboro, told a woman on Gurley Dairy Road that they were raising money for local fire departments and Toys for Tots.
When the woman learned the department wasn't currently raising money, she approached the trio and asked for her money back. She said they then drove off, nearly hitting her.
She reported the incident to the Wayne County Sheriff's Office, along with their license plate tag and a description of the vehicle. Deputies soon pulled them over on Buck Swamp Road, where they were taken into custody.
Deputies believed there could be other victims of the scam in the area. Anyone with further information should contact Detective Sgt. Tammy Mozingo at 919-731-1481.
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County
- Updated Animal control investigating chemical burns on dog found in Duplin County
- Greenville Hilton earns accolades thanks to guest satisfaction