PITT COUNTY - Pitt County Deputies arrested Joseph Bradshaw Sr., of Gates County, on Monday and charged him with robbing Burnetti's Pizza Place.
According to the Pitt County Sheriff's Office, an older white male entered Burnetti's Pizza at 4954 N.C. 33, just east of Greenville, and told the owner that he had a gun. But the suspect never showed the weapon, investigators said. The incident happened at about 3 p.m. Thursday.
The owner told NewsChannel 12 at first he thought the guy was joking when he demanded money. But then the suspect told him he had a gun and he would shoot the owner if he didn't give the money to him. In a twist, the thief apologized for robbing him and he said it didn't matter if he shot the owner because the thief was going to die anyways.
"That was an unusual robbery that he didn't try to hide his face better than he did. That tells me that he's very desperate," Sheriff Neil Elks said.
Desperate for exactly what is unclear. The thief got away with a few hundred dollars, according to the owner.
Bradshaw is being held in the Pitt County Detention Center under a $100,000 bond.
- Updated Predicted rainy forecast forces high schools to move more games
- Updated Poll: Clinton favorability slides to equal Trump
- Updated Inequality is widening, even in real estate
- Updated Landmark US commercial flight lands in Cuba
- Updated Donald Trump to deliver highly anticipated immigration speech following Mexico visit