CRAVEN COUNTY - A medical researcher is due in Craven County court Tuesday morning on charges that he carried on a year-long internet relationship with a 13-year-old girl, then met her and committed indecent liberties with her.
The suspect, 31-year-old Robert Kendig, lives in Winston-Salem, deputies said.
Kendig allegedly turned the internet relationship into a real-life date last month, when he drove more than 200 miles to meet the girl in Craven County, deputies said.
Kendig is charged with solicitation of a child by computer and taking indecent liberties with a child.
Deputies arrested him Friday.
"I think it's probably safe to classify him as a sexual predator," Craven County Sheriff Jerry Monette said of Kendig.
"I'm glad we have him in custody," Monette said.
Deputies drove to Winston-Salem Friday to take custody of Kendig; he remains in the Craven County Detention Center as of 5:30 p.m. Monday.
Kendig works for Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, according to a spokesperson.
The spokesperson added that Kendig is on administrative leave.
Monette said that one of the teen's parents found evidence of the relationship on the teen's computer. The parent filed the complaint that started the investigation.
- Updated White House blocks news organizations from press briefing
- New Rusted Root to headline stage at 11th annual PirateFest
- Updated Small Ohio town counts on Trump to stave off plant closures
- Updated Trump rally: CEOs of Dow companies make $400 million
- Updated Tryon Palace director no longer serving position