BRIDGETON, CRAVEN COUNTY - A wanted sex offender is still on the loose in Craven County. He's accused of failing to properly register his address.
The North Carolina Sex Offender registry lists Jose "Jesse" Bennett as being convicted of sexual battery on a seven-year-old girl. Records show it happened in 2012.
Another alleged victim tells us she was also molested by Bennett 10 years ago, but he was never convicted of that crime.
That alleged victim's mother says, "to this day, I look at her and I feel bad because we had never let my daughter stay away from home, this was her first time and I feel like we kinda let her down because we couldn't bring justice for her in this case; but now we're going to get that justice."
The family is hoping to help police locate and arrest Bennett who is currently wanted for not properly registering his address as a sex offender and failure to appear for probation hearings.
If you know anything about Bennett's whereabouts, contact the Craven County Sheriff's Office. There is a $1,000 reward for information leading to his arrest.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County