PITT COUNTY - Deputies said they are searching for suspects armed with assault rifles in an attempted robbery at a Pitt County store.
According to the Pitt County Sheriff's Office, it happened at the Coutryside store at 4724 Stantonsburg Rd. , off Highway 264 west of Greenville. Deputies got the call at about 10 p.m. Thursday.
Investigators said three black males tried to rob the store; one held the door while the other two, armed with assault rifles, entered the building.
One of the armed men is about 5-foot-10 with light skin and a black bandana around his face, said deputies. The other armed suspect is between 5-foot-10 to 6 feet tall, has medium-colored skin, and was wearing dark sun glasses, according to investigators.
There was no description on the third suspect.
There were three employees inside the store and some customers in the parking lot when the suspects arrived, said investigators. But the would-be robbers were inside the store for less than 20 seconds and escaped with no money because something had scared them off, deputies said.
The store employees ran to the back of the building. No injuries were reported.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Pitt County Sheriff's Office at 252-830-4141.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal