PITT COUNTY - A breaking and entering suspect in Pitt County has been arrested after he allegedly fled the scene of the crime and led deputies on a chase, investigators said.
The Pitt County Sheriff's Office arrested 24-year-old Gary Arthur Smith Sunday.
Sheriff's Office spokesperson Christy Wallace said the breaking-in and larceny took place Sunday afternoon at 109 Cherrywood Dr. just outside Greenville. A concerned neighbor called 911 and reported suspicious activity at the address.
As deputies approached the neighborhood, a vehicle matching the witness' description was seen at Firetower Road and 14th Street, Wallace said. Deputies attempted to stop the car, but the driver sped away. The chase ended in a front yard on Brook Road near Charles Boulevard, where the suspect crashed his car, said Wallace. Smith was then arrested.
Wallace said the breaking and entering is still under investigation. Smith is facing charges of felony flee to allude, damage to property, driving while license revoked and careless and reckless driving.
- Tornado watch for most of Eastern NC canceled
- Tyrrell County residents brace for more after damaging Tuesday storms
- Fallen local soldier to be honored at weekend NASCAR race
- Investigators stay mum 24 hours after body thought to be missing man's found in ditch
- Many blueberry farmers picking crop earlier than normal