WASHINGTON, BEAUFORT COUNTY - Deputies have charged a mother for allegedly lying that her young daughter was kidnapped, prompting an Amber Alert.
Lincoln County Deputies have charged Mary Bowen with filing a false report. According to investigators, Bowen claimed that 55-year-old Troy Lee Koonce , Jr., of Washington, abducted her 3-year-old daughter from her home on Grandview Lane in Lincolnton. An Amber Alert was issued Sunday evening for the child, Christina Grace Koonce,.
But Koonce told NewsChannel 12 there was no kidnapping at all.
"Mary Bowen herself put the baby in my car, buckled my baby in the car seat," Koonce said. "We got in an argument and I left. Everything was fine."
An Amber Alert was issued shortly after. But the toddler was found safe in the company of Koonce just before 1 a.m. Monday in Washington, investigators said.
Koonce was originally charged with second-degree kidnapping. But deputies said upon further investigation, it was revealed that Koonce is the father of the child, not the cousin of Bowen like she originally claimed. As a result, detectives said they will drop the charges against Koonce.
- New Was New Bern first in America to celebrate George Washington's birthday?
- Updated New Bern stab victim says he was accused of stealing drugs
- Updated Reports: Dolphins acquire TE Thomas from Jaguars
- Updated Trade of Cousins to Pelicans becomes official
- Updated Small plane crashes near Melbourne's Essendon airport