DUPLIN COUNTY - Duplin County deputies said they have arrested two members of one of the most dangerous gangs in the country.
According to investigators, Nahun Alberto Funez-Maldonado (right), of Magnolia, escaped from authorities Thursday while they were serving warrants at the suspect's workplace in Wilmington.
Funez-Maldonado led deputies on a foot chase before being arrested, investigators said. He was wanted for a 2003 warrant for injury to personal property.
Funez-Maldonado had previously been deported for illegal entry into the U.S., and he also has a prior conviction of kidnapping, deputies said. The suspect is being held at the Duplin County Jail on a $40,000 bond.
Funez-Maldonado's brother, Marlon, was also being held under a $40,000 bond on a charge of communicating threats. He was arrested during Thursday's warrant service, deputies said.
Both brothers are members of MS-13 (Mara Salvatrucha-13), a violent Hispanic L.A.- based gang, according to investigators.
The Department of Homeland Security is also investigating.
- Carteret Co. Sheriff's Office investigating murder-suicide
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend
- Pine Knoll Shores officials ask public to take precautions during busy holiday
- Traveling Vietnam War memorial in Morehead City for Memorial Day weekend
- NWS confirms tornado touched down in Tyrrell County