RICHLANDS, ONSLOW COUNTY - A Marine who accidentally shot himself in the head has passed away, Onslow County deputies said.
According to investigators, they responded to 8 Dalton Court in Richlands on the night of July 26. They said once they arrived, they found Lanija Antionne Gilpatrick with a single gunshot wound in the eye and an exit wound out the back of his head. Deputies said Gilpatrick was carelessly handling his handgun when he accidentally shot himself.
Gilpatrick was unconscious but still alive when EMS personnel came to the scene, said investigators. He was airlifted to New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington and underwent surgery. Gilpatrick was doing well after the procedure, but died two days later from health complications, deputies said.
According to Gilpatrick's Facebook page, he graduated in 2010 from Johnstown Senior High School in Johnstown, Pa.
- Son kills father, himself in murder-suicide in Morehead City
- One dead, two injured after early-morning shooting in New Bern
- Coast Guard calls off search for missing Hyde County boaters off Georgia
- Dudley man shot, killed early Saturday; Goldsboro Police investigating
- Travelers out in bunches for Memorial Day weekend